Samba4 ACLs and Linux ACLs

Sun Oct 24 04:39:32 MDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:29:41PM +0200, André Stierenberg wrote:
> So, what can I do? I need to use ACLs in Windows and the same on
> liunux server. I use ext4 fs on the linux server, but ext4 only
> support POSIX ACLs.
> What should I do? Can I change the filesystem (e.g. ZFS) so that I
> can use the NT ACLs in linux or should I try s3compat? I also have
> to use the NT ACLs  via NFS. Any idea?

With OpenSolaris and ZFS you have a chance to get closer to
what you want, using the NFSv4 ACL model. But right now what
you want (100% NTFS ACLs usable from Windows, local Unix
processes and NFS) is just not possible. Even large NAS
servers like the ones from NetApp and EMC don't give you
that. This is just not solvable 100%, because Windows, Posix
and NFSv4 have different ACL semantics.

With NFSv4 ACLs available in OpenSolaris and ZFS you get
very close, and we will be happy to help you utilizing
those.

Volker