help with net vampire error

Aaron Solochek aarons-samba at aberrant.org
Sat Oct 16 10:15:12 MDT 2010

On 10/16/2010 08:50 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 02:01 -0400, Aaron Solochek wrote:
>> On 10/15/2010 05:12 PM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>>> Hi Kamen,

>>> That's correct, I'm the Samba 4 packager for Debian and Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> Aaron, things are working fine here - what version of the packages were
>>> you using?
>>>

>> 4.0.0~alpha14~bzr14327~ppa162+179~maverick1
>>
>> I had a build from source on that machine at one point in /usr/local/samba4, but
>> I moved that out of the way before installing the debs.
> Ah, so that's fairly recent. What version of ldb ?

Sorry, I checked the wrong computer.  On the DC, where I ran that command, I was
running
samba4 4.0.0~alpha14~bzr13916~ppa160+170~maverick1 and
libldb0 1:0.9.14~git20100928-1

I attempted to upgrade everything, which succeeded on everything but the samba4
package.  It failed because I had a rogue ldb.so from some earlier non-deb based
installation.  I killed that, but samba4 still failed to upgrade because of
undefined symbols since there was now a version mismatch between those current
ldb libraries and the older samba4 libraries I was trying to upgrade.  I
manually unpacked the deb and installed the package, then tried to install the
deb again (so my package database was sane) and got this:

 * Stopping Samba 4 daemon samba
                                        [ OK ]
Found 2 domain controllers, for the moment upgradeprovisionis not able to handle
upgrade on domain with more than one DC, please demote the other(s) DC(s) before
upgrading
Sanity checks for the upgrade fails, checks messages and correct them before
rerunning upgradeprovision
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x1709bb0] on
/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2e665d0] on
/var/lib/samba/private/idmap.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x1d0d9c0] on
/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.ldb
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2912c60] on
/var/lib/samba/private/privilege.ldb
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/samba4_4.0.0~alpha14~bzr14327~ppa162+179~maverick1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):

Are the active transaction messages expected for the 2 DC situation?  Also, how
do I demote and then re-promote the other DC in order to complete this upgrade
and get my system to a sane state?

-Aaron