Problems creating a new VFS module

Sergio Lopes slopes at iportalmais.pt
Fri Oct 8 05:06:17 MDT 2010

Hi,

We have a document management software that allows users, through a Web
interface to access documents in a directory hierarchy. In addition to
access via web interface, users can also access via a network share to
there documents. As the document management system has a system of
permissions, each user can access different directories / documents.
Therefore, in order that the users access to documents via a network
share, for each user exists in the file system the directory's and
documents  that each user has access:

  -/home1/DOCS/user1/
                                         + invoives
                                                invoice 1.PDF  (
symbolic link to the file store )
                                                invoice 2.PDF  (
symbolic link to the file store )

  -/home1/DOCS/user2

( In the smb.conf  file a network share is configured so that each user
access to its list of directories and documents. )

Thus, in a document management system with hundreds of users and
millions of documents, are created a lot of links and directories in the
file system!

A better way to implement this feature, would be to use the samba VFS
modules. The documents and directories that each user would have access
would be defined dynamically and directly from the database, and not
through the file system.

best regards,
Sergio Lopes

--
Sérgio Lopes

Departamento Técnico
iPortalMais - Soluções de Engenharia para a Internet e Redes Rua de Passos Manuel, nº 66/76
4000-381 Porto  Portugal

Tel. 351 225 106 476
Fax  351 225 189 722
sergio.lopes at iportalmais.pt