Joining samba4 to domain as PDC

Michael Wichers mwichers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 18:50:37 MST 2010

Well, I went through the walkthroughs, and setup a domain controller running
samba4.   The website states to report success or failures so here's the
story of what happened.

I've setup samba4 as a primary domain controller.... got bind 9.7.2_P3
running because I noticed the patches you have included are in the source
for that version....works great
I've gone to setup samba4 as a backup domain controller (on a different
box).   After completing the samba-tools vampire command, I thought perhaps
I could use this domain controller now.   I was wrong.
/usr/local/samba/private/dns/<domainname>.zone did not get any new entries
for the backup domain controller.   so I made a backup of this file, and
even though it says "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE"..... guess what I did....   I
copied all of the SRV records for the prinary dc with a weight of 100 and
used those as a model to create entries for the backup dc, except with a
weight of 200....restarted bind....NOW, everything seems to be quite
dandy.....well then again...still not 100% dandy.   on by backup dc, there
is no file /usr/local/samba/private/named.conf and there is no directory
/usr/local/samba/private/dns.  However, the file
/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf.update does exist and the data in the
file does match the primary dc.  This saddens me.  I get the feeling the
backup dc will not be doing any dns updates :(.  Ah well, off to see what I
can rig up for the time while I wait for you guys to push out your magic.
Thank you so much for your progress towards something which has so far, been
very impressive

Michael Wichers