how can i recover or change user password with samba tool

Zahari Zahariev zahari.zahariev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 08:37:24 MST 2010

Hi Hesam,

There is something called "samba-tool" and you may find lots of useful
tools bundled together to manipulate Samba4 server. In the particular
case of Administrator password you can try from the
"samba-master/source4/" directory or from anywhere using the binary from
the install path (default /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool):

$ ./bin/samba-tool setpassword administrator

I assume you have to be physically on the same machine that Samba4 is
running on. Using LDAP connection won't work because for "setpassword"
you do not have server connection needed. On the other hand you have
"changepassword" that needs server connection.

Cheers!