what's a blocker bug? (was: [Release Planning 3.4] v3-4-test will be frozen tomorrow)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 15 20:50:41 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 16:34 +0200, Björn Jacke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2009-10-14 at 11:48 +0200 Karolin Seeger sent off:
> > The following blockers exist right now:
>
> How about renaming "blocker bugs" to "regression bugs"? A regression bug means
> a bug that was introduced inside a stable release branch.

> For today's situation: I think it's not optimal if people don't get a 3.4.3
> release which already contains a bunch of important fixes just because we are
> waiting for some more fixeѕ to come.
>
> I'd like to hear what others think about this. And sorry I didn't come up with
> this proposal earlier during the policy discussion.

I think this is very sensible.  We have a pride in our releases, a pride
that it contains fixes to all the bugs we currently know about.  But
while this pride stops us getting existing bug fixes to users, it is a
problem.  We should instead be proud that we are getting as many fixes
as possible to users as quickly as practical, and so keep the release
process moving.

Samba4 has a similar problem - the last alpha was not the best, but I
haven't released another for months now because we have 'just a few more
things' to get into the next one.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.