[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha8-154-g826ee30

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Jul 2 12:58:22 GMT 2009

Hi Simo,

 > You can't have the 2 libraries installed at the same time.

huh?

 > If, through dependencies, both get loaded in the same process space, and
 > both use the same symbol names, you are doomed.

err .. the loader is supposed to sort that out and use one. Metze has
explained that it can screw up (though I don't fully understand how),
and has proposed a patch that catches it if it happens. I certainly
don't mind putting in that patch as a extra precaution.

 > Can I ask you a question in reverse ?
 > Why is it so imperative for you to break the ABI ?
 > Why can't we fix the bug without breaking it ?
 > I didn't see anything in this bug that couldn't be fixed and yet
 > maintain the original ABI intact.

The ABI change is needed to give us sane logging so we can find the
bugs we have that have crept in over the years because we had an
ambiguous API. That logging has found about 10 bugs so far (Andrew
used it to find another one today, when running a RPC test against
w2k3).

If you can propose a way to do this with no ABI change then please
propose a patch (and please don't just re-send Sam's patch, I'll
address that in a separate email).

 > No you can't keep talloc.so.1 and talloc.so.2 at the same time in the
 > distro, it is too dangerous. Distros will have to wait till next distro
 > version or rebuild all applications that depend on talloc.

Can you explain why I have lots of libraries in /usr/lib on my Ubuntu
system with two version numbers at once? Is everyone else wrong on
this?

In fact, the whole darn point of having so numbers is so you _can_
have multiple installed at once, and so old apps that linked against
the old version will still work.

Cheers, Tridge