Samba4 shared FS + MacOS issue

George K Colley gcolley at apple.com
Wed Feb 25 10:10:21 MST 2009

Did some testing here at Connectathon and you are correct. If the
server supports the LARGE_WRITE_CAP then the Apple SMB Client will set
the byte count field zero. We should only do this if the message is
too large to fit in the byte count field. Now with that said not sure
when that change will make it in. Since Windows, Samba 3 and all other
servers don't seem to care I am not sure why Samba 4 should care. I
would suggest that Samba 4 change their code to work with our old
clients, but I will leave that to the Samba 4 team.

Some other notes about Samba 4 and the Apple Client.

1. Samba 4 will return an error  if the Apple Client attempts to
delete a stream while the main stream is open. This will cause the
Finder to fail the operation. This is a bug in the Samba 4 code. Samba
3 and Windows Server support doing this operation.

2. Samba 4 will return an error when the client tries to set the write
time using a stream file descriptor. This is perfectly legal, remember
all meta data (except for the EOF and PEOF)  is share between streams.

I found some other minor errors with the Apple Client which I need to
fix, but nothing that should be noticeable to the user.

George