make proto issue

Cameron Macdonell cam at cs.ualberta.ca
Fri Nov 28 05:17:35 GMT 2008

Hi,

I added some code to samba 3 for a project I'm working on.  This code
is in its own directory under 'source' and consists of a header file
and C file.  When I run make, the "make proto" target grabs the
function definitions and adds them to "include/proto.h".  The problem
is that the function headers contain typedef parameters that are in
the header file and they are not included in the generated proto.h
header and so cause the compile to fail.

So, my question is what am I doing wrong in regards to the way "make
proto" works?  Why does "make proto" grab definitions from the C file,
but ignore the header files?  Am I structuring my code wrong or at
least not in the Samba way?

I can provide more details if necessary,

Thanks,
Cam

A. Cameron Macdonell
Ph.D. Student