Replication Question

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Nov 9 21:54:51 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 01:41 +0100, Calvin wrote:
> Hi...
> First of all many thanks and good luck to all at samba..
> I have been using samba 3 for many years in my home lan and am now testing
> samba 4 (after reading "we need people to test it and tell us what dose
> and dosen't work, and what they need it to do").

I'll be glad to have your assistance!

> My question is about replication, I know we can use samba 4 with a ldap
> backend like:
> [server1 samba-ldap]<-->[ldap-samba server2]
> or:
> [server1 samba-ds]<-->[ds-samba server2]
> rather than:
> [server1 samba]<-->[samba server2]
>
> Are you allways looking to use a ldap backend to do replication (if so i
> will spend more time getting a solid ldap backend working) or is the plan
> to make samba 4 do the replication with out ldap backend (and hopefully
> simply it for sysadmin)

At this stage, the LDAP backend provides the most mature replication
solution available.  As we progress, we hope to implement DRS
replication (the current extended DN work will help with this).

> also dose samba 4 still use the PDC, BDC system rather than that of 2003AD
> which is DC-DC, as this will effect how i plan the topolagy of my new lan
> (my old one has now been running for 4y plus, time to upgade).

Samba4 will emulate a PDC and BDC for older clients, just as Windows
2003 does.  The distinction between a PDC and BDC has never mattered to
Samba (3 or 4).

> Many thanks..
>
> calvin streeting
>
> P.S another thing that would be helpfull is a list (roadmap) on the "samba
> 4" site stating what works, is under dev, and whats not implmented yet. so
> i dont spend hours on google try to solve the not implemented, or reading
> old docs squireled away by many sites stating the current state only to
> find the document dates to 2005...

If you would like to maintain such a page on the Wiki, this would be
great.  The reason developers have not done so in general is lack of
time, and the resultant stale (and therefore meaningless) documentation
this produces.  The WHATSNEW.txt provides some clues however, and is
generally updated as part of the release.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.