guest login with security = share with 3.2.0-pre2 + support for a smb client named Dave3.1 in MacOS 9

yaberger at ca.ibm.com yaberger at ca.ibm.com
Wed Mar 19 12:18:16 GMT 2008

Hi,

Since it was the 3.2.0 bugzilla day yesterday, I've tried to build
3.2.0-stable on my AIX 5.3 TL7 box.

Problem 1
So far, I've used a smb.conf that allow my users to have public access.
This is one of the two build I'm using (the other one is a build with aix
authentication and loginrestrictions)
This configuration is working fine with 3.0.25. I've also made some change
since some default values have changed between this pre-release and 3.0.25

My problem is with the following commit:
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=9ed12bfc48fe7f9b1863a9dd88e881974083053c

the last if block, ie if (!pass),  isn't allowing a guest connection with
the following windows command and security = share
net use * \\server.domain\sharename

I've tried to comment the if block and it's now working as I expected.

So I'm wondering what is the purpose to check if the password is null. If
the problem is only related to security = share, should it be

if (! pass && lp_security() != SEC_SHARE) {

Problem 2
I've reported this one back in june 2007 when I was testing 3.0.25 with
some of our client. Some of them are running on MacOS9 with a smb client
named Dave3.1

Unfortunately, they weren't able to authenticate after we've upgraded from
3.0.11 to 3.0.25
The exact reason can also be seen in this commit:
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=9ed12bfc48fe7f9b1863a9dd88e881974083053c

The small part that was englobed in the #if 0 #endif

the old one, working with MacOS9 using Dave3.1
if ((ra_type == RA_WINNT) && (passlen2 == 0) && unic && passlen1) {

the new one, not working with MacOS9 using Dave3.1
if (unic && (passlen2 == 0) && passlen1) {

I'm currently maintaining my build with the old version of this if block,
but I would like to know if it would be possible to rollback it

I still have to try my build with aixauth and loginrestrictions but so
far, it's looking good. I haven't asked my clients to run their plan test
since it's take some considerable time to do but we're gonna do this at
the launch of 3.2.0

Yannick Bergeron
yaberger at ca.ibm.com