Getting Winbindd to build with GCC Profiling support

Todd Stecher todd.stecher at isilon.com
Tue Sep 11 21:21:57 GMT 2007

Thanks for the pointer, Jeremy - finally got all of this working
(albeit I gave up on FreeBSD, and did it on Suse in < 4 hours).

No big surprise here, especially after looking at the code - the
majority of the time (when doing a lot of kerberos SMB auth) is spent
on / within the MIT 1.4.1 authenticator replay cache.

That's a prime target for optimization. Also, it looks like the
ticket verification is all wrapped in a mutex in the samba code to
protect the replay cache.    I'm upgrading to a newer version of
MIT's kerberos distribution (1.6.2), but am willing to bet  (based on
open tickets in the MIT bug database) that this issue won't be fixed
by the upgrade.

Is Heimdahl any better in this regard?

Todd

On Sep 5, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 03:41:26PM -0700, Todd Stecher wrote:
>> I'm failing in configure when trying to get GPROF information on
>> winbindd, so I can figure out why Samba / CIFS using kerberos is
>> significantly slower than NTLM (it should be 5-6 times faster, due to
>> lack of DC secure channel).  Moving to keytabs with pre-derived keys
>> helped somewhat, but its still slower than NTLM.  The --enable-
>> profiling switch is great, but doesn't give me the granularity I need
>> to really pin down where the CPU cycles are going.
>
> Valgrind using the cachegrind module will give you all the info
> you need - and more accurately than gprof.
>
> Jeremy.

Todd Stecher | Windows Interop Dev
Isilon Systems    P +1-206-315-7500     F  +1-206-315-7501
www.isilon.com    D +1-206-315-7638    M +1-425-205-1180