Where to for Samba4?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Sep 6 16:24:38 GMT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> As a mere administrator who humbly injects his opinion...
>
>> Finally, I've heard all manner of different people give views in the
>> press about where Samba4 is heading - a separate release, a DC only,
>> just another head of a Samba3 borg?
>> From my point of view, I'm expecting to make a release, with good DC,
>> and hopefully good file-server capabilities.  But I would like to
>> discuss what (if anything) Samba4 means to more than just myself.
>> Thoughts?
>
> If I could create an AD domain with working group policies and OpenLDAP
> integration, and continue to use Samba3 for file-services, printing,
> etc... I'd be dancing in the street and passing out flowers to
> strangers.  As would many of the IT people I know.

I was under the impression that Samba4 would be the next version of Samba.
After reading this discussion, it almost sounds like there will be 2
different kinds of Samba:

   Samba Active Directory Services - Samba4
   Samba File and Print Services - Samba3

I don't care either way so long as they are both maintained, but was that
the intention?  :)

 	Andy