[Samba 4] Default logging format isn't optimal

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Mon Sep 3 22:14:26 GMT 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 12:21:57AM +0930, Dan Shearer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 12:44:02PM +0200, Matthias Dieter Walln?fer wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I noticed in bugzilla someone who writes, that the logging format in
> > SAMBA 4 isn't such good.
> >
> > The default logging format is kind of sucky right now. The main issue is
> > that each event is spread across two lines.
>
> The developer functionality isn't ideal either. We've hit this in OpenChange
> and need to find a solution. Hopefully the process of fixing that would also
> fix issues like the one you raise. We've talked about it in OpenChange, I'll
> summarise here.
     :
     :
> It means OC doesn't need any logging code in-tree. And we'd be helping
> to improve Samba's logging.

No comments, my design proposal must have been perfect :-) We're working
on what this might mean to OpenChange and trying to decide if we should
put effort into a draft implementation for comment.

One of the additional ideas that came up at the conf today was to enable
an initialisation option for the logging system that sent certain types
of bugs (presumably mostly crashbugs) to a central place. Talk about
emulating Microsoft functionality :-)

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org