how to cherry-pick revisions from SAMBA_3_2?

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Sat Oct 13 16:18:00 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I originally had some changed targeted for SAMBA_3_0_26, which then
turned into SAMBA_3_2, which is now orphaned. I'm looking for a way
to figure out what they are and pick them out of the svn mirror.

Ideally, I would like to use git-diff-tree to figure out which
revisions I need, then use git-cherry-pick, to merge them up into
v3-2-test.

However, git-cherry-pick that only pulls revisions between branches,
not between repositories, so for this to work I need to get the
branch from samba-svnmirror.git into my samba.git repository.

I can't pull a branch from samba-svnmirror.git into samba.git because
they don't have a common ancestry. When I try this, I end up with a
complete mess. I think the only way I could do this is if it were
possible to create an empty branch.

Maybe I should give up and bring the patches across by hand?

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org