Getting device id from Query File Info (and how to have uniqueUniqueIDs)

Danilo Almeida dalmeida at centeris.com
Thu Oct 11 18:50:19 GMT 2007

> http://wiki.wireshark.org/SMB2/Ioctl/FILE_OBJECTID_BUFFER
>
> have you tried infolevel 1008 which returns an objectid buffer?
> with some luck windows will return a guid for birthvolumeid and maybe
> it will be different

That will not work:

"A 16 byte GUID that identifies the volume where this object was originally created"

That refers to the volume where the object was created, not where it currently resides.

Steve, you might try doing a volume query on the path to get volume id information.  I don't recall the call off the top of my head.  (If the path is a file, you probably need to query on the parent directory.)

- Danilo