svn commit: samba r23389 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source: .

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Fri Jun 8 22:44:04 GMT 2007

Hi James,

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:55:42AM -0700, James Peach wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2007, at 7:37 AM, obnox at samba.org wrote:
> >
> >Log:
> >Disabling ACL support on Darwin/Mac OS X for now.
> >
> >Current configure check detects posix ACL support
> >but compile of modules/vfs_posixacl.c fails due
> >to missing defines in sys/acl.h:
> >ACL_USER, ACL_USER_OBJ, ACL_GROUP, ACL_GROUP_OBJ, ACL_OTHER,
> >ACL_MASK, ACL_WRITE, ACL_READ
> >
> >It has to be investigated, if this can be fixed within
> >the posixacl vfs module or if we need a darwinacl module.
>
> The Darwin ACL model is a lot closer to the Windows/NFS4 model than it
> is to the traditional Posix model. I have a module, which I'll post
> for review in due time. If you have a particular need for it, I can
> accelerate the process.

Yes, I would like to see that module. No hurry though - samba
didn't have working Darwin ACL support up to now if I am not
mistaken.

Is the module you are referring to by chance the one available under
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/Current/samba-100.7/darwin_vfs/darwin_acls.c
In this case, it does of course not fit into our acl schema.
But with some work it could (judging from a first glance)
be integrated.
Or do you already have something that integrates with upstream Samba?

I don't have any special or urgent need, just want to make Samba's
ACL support more complete.

Cheers, Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9