getting rid of mkproto.sh from Samba3

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Jun 6 03:55:24 GMT 2007

Jerry,

 > wrt to findstatic.pl, I don't really see what this has to
 > do with autogenerated vs. hand written headers.  That tool
 > is useful regardless.  Headers are designed to export
 > an API.  That is why there are public and private headers.
 > I'm mainly only concerned with the public headers (between
 > systems or modules).

yes, but it demonstates that relying on good programming practice
doesn't work. We all know its good programming practice to remove
unused functions, and we know its good practice to make a function
static if its only used within one C file, yet we all still make that
mistake time and time again.

If you do have time to write the scripts I suggested, then it will be
really interesting to run them on projects that have a good reputation
for code quality (Linux kernel and gcc are obvious examples). I bet
they would find plenty of errors.

 > But you've already drawn one more email out of me that I
 > intended to contribute.  Very tricksy you are *Gollum*
 > *Gollum*  :-)

discussions like these are really good! We all have things to learn
about good coding practices. A lot of what I have learnt has come from
discussions like these within various projects, so don't cut it short
just because we don't agree.

Cheers, Tridge