Samba4 Machine Rename Behavior

Matt Schwartz mes5048 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 16 12:01:58 GMT 2007

I have noticed some very interesting behavior when renaming a machine in a Samba4 ADS domain.  In my test domain, I have the domain controller named LEOPARD and the test machine is PUMA.  To test renaming functionality, I renamed PUMA to COUGAR.  I would have thought that the original DN=PUMA would have been erased in ldb and a new DN=COUGAR created.  Instead, an additional service principle was created under DN=PUMA with COUGAR's information.  It is worthwhile to note that PUMA's principle still remained in LDB.  I have enclosed a snapshot of ldb prior to and after the machine rename.  In addition, I have enclosed a secrets.keytab file.