Winbind's offline state and idmap_ldap

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Feb 19 04:32:35 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 21:08 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> simo wrote:
>
> > In this case, the solution is simple, just make the idmap
> > cache aware of offlin/online modes, and never let idmap
> > ask the backends when in offline mode, nor expire the caches.
>
> Correct.  I thought you had already done that.  I remember
> bringing that up during the merge.

Yes, I did the work, but it still tries to contact the backend as I
thought it should have been authoritative about what is online/offline.
You are proposing a different thing (which makes things easier
probably).
Now I see you probably meant this all the time, but I understood it in a
slightly different way, so we need to check that part of the code to
make sure it behaves as you propose.

> My point about calling init() for each backend in idmap_init().

I know, I just thought it was worth mentioning the other stuff, and it
was indeed as it seem we had slightly different ideas on the details.
Luckily we spotted this difference, and we can make sure things work.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer