user interfaces for samba4 or samba3 configuration

S P sree314 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 17:40:31 GMT 2006

On 9/4/06, derrell at samba.org <derrell at samba.org> wrote:
> tridge at samba.org writes:
>
> > I'd also be interested in any comments you may have on developing with
> > Qooxdoo. I've been a bit disappointed at how little of the ui
> > mechanics is handled by Qooxdoo. I was rather hoping it might take
> > care of more of the details :)
>
> A qooxdoo (it's supposed to be all lower case) application can and is intended
> to handle the entire gui.  If allowed to, it will handle all of the details.

Yes, qooxdoo does seem very complete with respect to UI development. As for the
UI design, qooxdoo supports loading a UI design from an XML file I think...

> The paradigm is different than developing a traditional web application:
> forget about style sheets, forget about html, pretend it's not a web
> application but is a local gui application.  Writing complete, really nice
> applications is made even easier with the 0.6 version of qooxdoo (which is
> not, I think, what Sree has been using) but the 0.5.x versions also have
> adequate capability for very nice applications.

Yep, I've been using 0.5.3. I haven't seen 0.6 yet, but am thinking of
migrating the UI code to 0.6. We can have a parallel 0.6 version with
the 0.5.3 version.

However, one of major problems I faced is _not_ the RPC interface
(though that does cause a lot of grief when it doesn't work), but
accessing components and their values. Seems to me that I must keep
all of the variables that refer to the components in scope in order to
refer to them in event handling functions, state saving/loading
functions, etc. This leads to the function-inside-function code, that
given some of the processing to be done, turns out messy, in my
opinion. See <http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/SOC/sree/ui/userbrowser.js?rev=17759&view=markup>,
specifically the inline functions for execute and click functions for
examples of what I'm talking about.

Is how I've done it the right way? If not, what is? Any full-fledged
apps using qooxdoo that I can look at?

Sreepathi Pai