"text file busy" on cifs-mounted dir *doesn't* cause rsync error!

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Sun Oct 29 18:28:15 GMT 2006

Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:37:11PM +1300, Jason Haar wrote:
>
>> As the file is locked, b: should fail - but mount.cifs reports it as
>> working! A further "ls -l" shows the file hasn't been overwritten.
>>
>> Is this a Samba bug - or a Windows one?
>>

> This came up once before, and the user ended up reporting the bug to the
> Samba team.
So have I (I put it in as a cifsvfs bug; id=4182) - still waiting on a
response :-)

>  I consider it to be a deficiency in Windows that it doesn't
> have proper inode support (which would allow an opened file to be
> replaced in the filesystem without affecting any process that had the
> old file open), but the bug probably lies with Samba.

I actually don't have any problem with the file being locked - ethereal
even shows the Windows server reporting errors to the rename operation.
The problem is that cifsfs doesn't register the error, and thinks the
rename actually worked.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417