windows XP clients automatically reconnecting to shares

Montenegro, Michael H (Michael) mhm4 at lucent.com
Thu Oct 26 17:20:47 GMT 2006

I have a large samba deployment ~2000 mapped shares at any given point.  Our Samba environment is authenticating against an active directory domain.

Recently, windows XP clients have started accessing our samba shares.  The clients don't have a problem accessing any shares and, to the users, everything performs fine. We are seeing that everyday at 10am these windows XP clients will automatically reconnect to their mapped shares. The clients are not being rebooted and the logs for these clients are not showing any other activity besides this reconnect at 10am.  This is degrading the samba server's performance. We are seeing this on other servers running different samba versions but it is not noticeable since there are fewer XP clients connecting. I tried manipulating various parameters on the samba server (deadtime, smb port, etc.)  but it doesn't seem to resolve this issue. It looks like the XP clients are initiating the reconnect.

Does anyone know if there is a setting on the windows xp clients that would point to a reconnect setting? I have checked lanmanserver/parameters registry settings but nothing shows a setting that describes this issue.

Thanks,
Michael