Domain join issues in 3.0.23c - servicePrincipalNames issue

Senthil kumar Ramamurthy lihtnes78 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 01:40:07 GMT 2006

Hello All,
Our CIFS services are based on the open source samba project.
After upgrading our base-line from samba-3.0.14a to 3.0.23c version,
we find domain join failing with the following error messages:

"Failed to set servicePrincipalNames. Please ensure that
the DNS domain of this server matches the AD domain,
Or rejoin with using Domain Admin credentials."

Domain name was branch.ourcompany.com.
The samba server's name was test2003. It's
DNS entry had test2003.ourcompany.com.  Once /etc/hosts
was modified with the following entry,
10.23.10.232          branch.ourcompany.com
(10.23.10.232 is the ip address of test2003.)
domain join started working.

This failure seems to be reasonable considering the MS article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258503.

But the Windows machines which had similar DNS records
as that of test2003 are able to join the domain branch.ourcompany.com.
It looks like Windows is just concatenating the host-name
with the realm-name and pass it as the servicePrinciplename.

How about changing samba's behavior the same way too?
or Am I missing something quite obvious here?

Thanks,
Senthil