New configuration backends for Samba 3 SoC project

simo idra at samba.org
Wed May 31 13:58:58 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 10:33 -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> Some time ago I started to look inside Samba's source to see how to
> inject the Elektra patch.

[...]

> This is what I mean when I say Samba has a spread configuration system.
>
> I don't know why it is so spread and being recalled so many times. I
> guess maybe because Samba's programs want to be aware of configuration
> changes. If so, the Elektra way of doing that is to setup some
> notifications with callbacks that will retrieve the modifications, and
> modify the internal C structs.

Some of the parameters need to be tracked for changes some others need
not.

> I guess too that ldb is being used to store lots of data like long
> list of user accounts etc. If so, why the API to access ldb is the
> same to access smb.conf. Or I completely missunderstood the relation
> between smb.conf, ldb and the API for them all.

ldb is an ldap like API, actually it has nothing to do with the
smb.conf, but being a directory service it make a good candidate to
store configurations (just like ldap and the registry).

ldb will sooner or later have a notification mechanism too, I need it
anyway to support some of the controls you can set in ldap.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer