impact of CP850/IBM850 support missing?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed May 17 13:34:34 GMT 2006

OpenVMS currently does not have character set support for CP850 or IBM850.

What is the impact to SAMBA V3 about this?

I did not see a test for this in the SAMBA V4 configure process.

Also OpenVMS is using ISO8859-1 as a substitute for ASCII as it does not
currently have an character set named ASCII.

checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... ASCII
checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... UTF-8
checking for iconv in /usr/local/lib... yes
checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... ASCII
checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... UTF-8
configure: WARNING: Sufficient support for iconv function was not found.
     Install libiconv from http://freshmeat.net/projects/libiconv/
     for better charset compatibility!

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net