Password changing...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 25 05:29:43 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 13:11 +0200, Peter Stamfest wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [Appologies if this should be targeted to the plain samba list, but I get
> too many e-mails already to try yet another list-subscription.]
>
> I am experiencing a strange problem: In a two-location, two-samba-server
> setup, users cannot change their passwords because the "domain is
> unavailable". Everything else works as expected.
>
> The setup consists of two samba-servers with an LDAP backend. LDAP is
> taking care of replication. All of this seems to work. The master samba
> server acts as a central WINS server for all clients and the second
> server.
>
> When I finally added the second server at the second location, I found out
> that password changing at that location does not work (at the first
> location it does). I sniffed the network traffic and found out that the PC
> trying to change the password at the second location is looking for the
> name DOMAIN<20>, which is not there. After this, it complains about the
> domain not being there.

> Anybody knows anything about this? I deliberatly leave out the
> configuration at this stage to not bloat this e-mail any further.

It is a valid configuration in Samba 3.0 to have multiple 'PDC' servers,
one per netbios scope.  If you are willing to separate your netbios
scopes into each location, eg with a WINS server per location (and use
the DNS fallback in windows or your WINS sever for inter-site names)
then this is a good option.  Otherwise, the PDC must be accessible from
each location.