[UNIX extentions] uid/gid 64-bit

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 12 14:20:41 GMT 2006

cifs vfs takes the Uid and Gid from the query and converts from little
endian and tries to stuff it in the uid_t sized field in the local
client's inode.   For most architectures in Linux uid_t is  kernel_uid32_t
 ie 32 bits.

For set we normally use -1 (__u64) to ask the server to use the default
uid/gid they choose - or if setuids was specified on mount cifs (which is
not the default) is take the fsuid and fsgid (which are normally the same
as uid and gid) and send those

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

"Stefan (metze) Metzmacher" <metze at samba.org>
06/12/2006 08:52 AM

Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-TECHNICAL <samba-technical at samba.org>,
sfrench at samba.org