max xmit buffer size

Andrew Tridgell tridge at au1.ibm.com
Tue Feb 21 02:39:00 GMT 2006

Steve,

 > Although SMB negprot returns a 32 bit max buffer size, the client on SMB
 > SessSetup responds with a
 > smaller field, a 16 bit max buffer size right ...,  This seems to mean
 > that we are limited to 64K smb
 > size (except for large write/read) - and thus no readdir over 64k.

Even if the negotiated buffer size could be ignored, the
findfirst/findnext calls would still be limited to 64k as they are
wrapped in trans2 requests, and trans2 uses 16 bit max_param and
max_data fields.

I don't see it as a significant problem though. I doubt that returning
data for findfirst/findnext in 64k chunks is a significant performance
problem.

Cheers, Tridge