tdb and file-per-hash-chain

Thu Feb 2 09:22:20 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:45:21AM +1100, James Peach wrote:
> That's true. However, I don't know whether this will be a problem in
> practice. For most cluster technologies, multiple nodes accessing the
> same files is a pessimal case because it requires the most cross-cluster
> consistency checking. If you add some poor TDB scalability to this
> already dubious workload, then I'm not sure that the situation really
> gets that much worse.
>
> I don't have any numbers to indicate whether this is a common workload.
> Do you have any?

That very much depends on the application. The normal user profile server does
not have this problem at all, on the other end of the spectrum is the shared
access database or outlook pst file. People will do this, no matter what you
tell them.

> Hmmm. I had a quick poke around mysql.com and it's not clear whether
> this is easily separable from MySQL. I guess you could always use MySQL
> cluster as a backend to the TDB API, but that would require running
> both your SAN cluster and the MySQL cluster. There's a lot of scope here
> for misunderstandings and poor integration between discrete clustering
> technologies.

I think we don't want to wrap the share mode db in sql, we want the underlying
flat file db :-)

Volker