[RFC] libreplace (was: Re: svn commit: samba r17738 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/lib/ldb: . ldb_tdb)

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Aug 28 03:29:27 GMT 2006

Jelmer,

 > I've implemented most of the changes we discussed on IRC yesterday in
 > the bzr branch at http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/samba/4.0-replace:

I've started a checkout for this, but looks like it will take a
while.

Maybe we could enable the web browser plugin for bzr, so we can browse
trees like with websvn? Or maybe you've already set it up somewhere?

 >  * Added ability to build libreplace standalone
 >  * lib/ldb/replace integrated back into lib/replace
 >  * Prefix replacement function symbols with "rep_" so they don't clash
 > with replacements defined by other libraries
 >  * Added SMB_REPLACE() m4 macro that looks for libreplace in ".",
 > "replace" and "../replace" and allows specifying a location using
 > --with-libreplace=...

sounds good!

 > I've added a SMB_REPLACE_FUNCS() call that checks to make sure its
 > argument functions are provided by either the system or libreplace. This
 > would allow building without libreplace on "sane" systems such as Linux
 > and FreeBSD that have all the required functions.

ok

 > The only drawback is
 > that it means that just including replace.h won't be sufficient in some
 > cases (we'll have to have ifdefs for system headers as well again).
 > Would this be worth it?

I certainly don't want to go back to having ifdefs everywhere for
system headers. I don't mind having them in include/system/, but I
definately don't want them to spread outside that one directory.

For ldb, I'd like them to be similarly isolated, either in
include/includes.h or an equivalent of include/system/

 > I'll now have a look at adding some sort of test suite to libreplace.

great!

 > Once that's done, I'd like to merge this branch into Subversion.

thanks, sounds good

Cheers, Tridge