Samba configure problem on Solaris 10 with Studio 11

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 29 20:44:53 GMT 2005

   I had to buy a new disk for froggy, so I took the opportunity to
upgrade to Solaris 10 and the Sun Studio 11 compilers.
   I now find a false [positive from configure, on both samba 3 and 4

configure reports
---
froggy> ./configure 2>&1 | tee oops.log
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.10
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.10
SAMBA VERSION: 3.9.0-SVN-build-12484
BUILD REVISION: 12484

checking for pam_start in -lpam... no
checking configure summary... configure: error: summary failure.
Aborting config
---

This is in testing the code
---
+ eval echo 'configure:27882: "$CC -o conftest$ac_exeext $CFLAGS
$CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS >&5"'
--
where the conftest file contains
---

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char pam_start ();
int
main ()
{
pam_start ();
   ;
   return 0;
}
_ACEOF
---

   I can happily compile and link this test against -lpam
on my system, but configure can't:
froggy> cc -o conftest conftest.c -lpam
froggy>

   I have sh -x output, but running it with -x
causes it to pass the tests (;-))
   I'll put the rest of the material into a bug
report, #3360.

--dave c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest