w2k join/logon

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Dec 29 02:13:22 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:56:27PM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> how slow? It takes about 5 seconds for me, compared with a few minutes
> previously.

A quick, non-scientific timing shows 124 seconds from entered administrator
password to "Welcome to the domain" dialog.

> If its more than 30 seconds then please send me a ethereal capture.

  http://www.sesse.net/download/samba4-w2k-join.dump

Grabbed with tcpdump from a VMware image, from bootup till domain join
complete. (I still have no idea why every outgoing packet is recorded twice.)

Looking at the logs, it seems like it's faster than two minutes this time
(I did the timing in another run). The largest delay (except for the delays
inherent in, well, booting up and me typing the administrator password) seems
to be a 47-second delay in-between some TCP activity on port 445...

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/