"algorithmic rid base" bogus?

Tue Dec 27 22:56:01 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 03:38:16PM -0700, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > The only thought I have was possibly by copying a file (with ACLs) off
> > their file-server?
>
> Simple solution. If foreign domain support (non-local SIDs) is disabled we
> refuse to copy the file across. In all other cases, we look up the name
> attached to the SID, then create a local mapping and call the "add group
> script" to create a UNIX user or group that is auto-mapped to the Windows
> account (user or group). In all cases preserving the original SID.
>
> What am I missing here?

You're missing that we're talking about files *already* copied with the
algorithmic mapping. The new one would get a 'S-1-22-2-<gid>' ACL entry.

Argl. This kills all files copied away from Samba to Windows with ACL entries
without explicit mappings.  For copies of Samba->Samba we end up with the same
gid, and assuming we have a consistent idmap we're fine here a well.

The Samba->Windows file copy might just assume we have explicit mappings for
all acl entries. Is that something we can live with?

Volker