What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Thu Dec 22 07:11:50 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:01:23AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 12:55:00AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > No, currently it doesn't. I'm a bit unsure if we really want to make the
> > > samba4 packages direct upgrades from samba, though (ie. calling them just
> > > "samba" with a version number of 3.9.something), given that a downgrade would
> > > be downright impossible... This is definitely your call, though; we could
> > > probably adjust the packaging to match names more properly (giving direct
> > > upgrades) if there's a desire for it.

> > Does having them installed under a different package name make it easier for
> > the user to downgrade?  Isn't the best-case downgrade process in both cases
> > going to be "uninstall the samba4 version of the package, manually massage
> > your config back into a usable state (or restore from backup), and install
> > the samba3 version"?  If so, I see no reason to not begin supporting direct
> > upgrades (and debugging them).

> As we have something of a code fork in development, it's probably a good
> idea to keep the Samba4 prefix to make sure that this isn't seen as a
> seamless upgrade. I don't think it will be.

I appreciate that this is the situation today, but I don't foresee shipping
both samba3 and samba4 together in a stable Debian release.  If the eventual
target is that samba4 will be a direct replacement for samba3, then I
consider it our responsibility as Debian package maintainers to make it a
direct, automatic, and seamless replacement by the point we're ready to
include it in a stable release.  With this goal in mind, it makes sense to
me that we would want to start working out the bugs in this upgrade path
sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/