Name Change for Samba4? [Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 22 03:32:57 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 03:28 +0000, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2005 12:06, Steve Langasek wrote on samba-technical:
>
> > Message: 15
> > Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:55:58 -0800
> > From: Steve Langasek <vorlon at debian.org>
> > Subject: Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?
> > To: samba-technical at lists.samba.org

> > > Certainly! The Debian packages of Samba4 are a bit more sane now,
> > > after a couple of patches from Steinar Gunderson (Sesse for those on
> > > IRC), so I hope we can get some Samba4 packages in Debians
> > > experimental as well.
> >
> > What is the (eventual) upgrade path from samba3 to samba4 going to look
> > like?  I would like to see samba4 packages in experimental at some point,
> > but I'm not really happy with the idea of renamed packages;
>
> Why? Does your unhappiness have a real cause?
>
> Speaking for myself (a lowly user only, not capable of reading more
> than comments in the code, not capable of building packages for any
> distro, and thusly not really knowing how much work is involved for
> those who have to actually implement the following suggestions):
>
>  -------------------------------------------------------------------
>   * Please rename the Samba version 4.x into Samba4 1.0 (or into an
>     otherwise different one from "Samba")

While I think there are many valid points in this mail, a name other
than Samba is a non-starter (loss of brand), and that Samba4 1.0 is just
going to cause confusion.

>   * Don't just give a new name to the package facing the "outside
>     world", do also rename all the binaries, important files and
>     directories [smbd4, nmbd4, smb4.conf, winbindd4, /etc/samba4/,
>     /var/lib/samba4/ (or wherever the various distros put stuff),
>     passdb4.tdb, secrets4.tdb, ...e etc.pp.]

Some of this can be achieved with autoconf executable suffix support,
and similar tricks over the entire tree.  It is a lot of work, and I
while certainly appreciate the reasons you list.

I much prefer that for parallel installation situations we use a
separate prefix.  The use of a 'system' prefix is a packaging matter, as
Samba from source entirely functions with an arbitrary prefix.  Changing
the prefix will also not require wholesale changes across the tree.