What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Dec 19 14:45:28 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 03:52:02AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote about 'Re: What is blocking a Samba4 Tech Preview?':
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:32:53PM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > > What is the (eventual) upgrade path from samba3 to samba4 going to look
> > > like?
> > There currently is an upgrade script that reads in a Samba3 smb.conf
> > file and the various Samba3 TDB files and writes out the appropriate
> > Samba4 data files. I guess you'd be using these in upgrades.
> Ok.  Does the current packaging use this? :-)
Not yet :-) I'll have a look at getting it to that state. It'd be good
to give that script some testing.

> > So far, I've been trying to keep the package names distinct from the
> > official ones, since if I'd messed up things with version numbers, people
> > wouldn't have been able to upgrade from my packages to more recent
> > official ones.
> Fair enough.  I think we should be able to get the version numbers right by
> the time we upload to experimental, though.
I'm currently using the following format: 3.9.0+SVN12312-1, does that
sound sane to you?

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/
Currently playing: Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You