KDC built in or out of smbd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 2 08:54:33 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 09:26 +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> * Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > For running Samba as a domain controller using Samba LDAP will be a must,
> > much like using Active Directory is a must on the Active Directory domain
> > controllers..
> >
> > You shuld however be able to run both the Samba domain controller and
> > OpenLDAP on the same machine by binding them to different IPs.
>
> Will Samba LDAP have data store backends like OpenLDAP does?  OpenLDAP
> has a LDAP backend to LDAP data in another LDAP server, which sounds
> weird, but if Samba LDAP would support this to, it could act as a
> LDAP proxy.  Or are there any other measures foreseen to interoperate
> with existing LDAP servers?

Yes, our ldb layer has multiple backends, currently tdb and ldap.  This
indeed allows an LDAP proxy.

More interesting is the idea of having a filter module in the stack as
well.  This would be used to allow Samba4 to use a Samba3 LDAP schema,
or to 'tame' the AD expectations from Samba4 and it's clients as we back
onto another LDAP server.

It is the use of Samba4 as an LDAP filtering proxy that I think holds
the best hope for integrating Samba4 into a corporate directory
structure.