Samba 4 diffs for building under HP-UX 11.11 (in gcc environment)

Don McCall donmccall1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 20:46:35 GMT 2005

tridge at samba.org wrote:
Don,

> I've re-added the default nobody/nogroup entries to gwen, and will take a look.

ok, we're getting close! It builds and install now, and the
provisioning works, but it fails 10 of our self tests.

Probably the strangest of the failures is the RAW-WRITE and RAW-READ
tests. The read calls which test that the server got the right data in
the files return OK, and give the right number of bytes, but the data
is zero?! Data corruption is a very unusual symptom of a bad port.

This is certainly a very weird one. Could you possibly have a look at
the RAW-WRITE test? As a first step, try and see if its a client or
server problem by running smbtorture on HPUX but pointing it at
another known good server on a different OS (eg. a Samba server or a
windows server). If it works as a client then we know we need to step
through the server code.

We're also getting tdb corruption, which may be part of the same
read/write problem. We've had mmap coherence problems in the past on
HPUX, but I doubt those are the problem here, as we are running smbd
in -M single mode, so coherence shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers, Tridge

Hi Tridge,

smbtorture RAW-WRITE seemed to have some problems with sparce files on the win2k3 server I tested against:

dos charset 'CP850' unavailable - using ASCII
Using seed 1124484306
Running RAW-WRITE
Testing RAW_WRITE_WRITE
Trying zero write
Trying small write
Trying large write
Trying bad fnum
Setting file as sparse
(torture/raw/write.c:181) Incorrect status NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE - should be
NT_STATUS_OK
Testing RAW_WRITE_WRITEUNLOCK
Trying zero write
Trying small write
Trying large write
Trying bad fnum
Setting file as sparse
(torture/raw/write.c:492) Incorrect status NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE - should be
NT_STATUS_OK
Testing RAW_WRITE_WRITECLOSE
Trying zero write
Trying small write
Trying large write
Trying bad fnum
Setting file as sparse
(torture/raw/write.c:642) Incorrect status NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE - should be
NT_STATUS_OK
Testing RAW_WRITE_WRITEX
Trying zero write
Trying small write
Trying large write
Trying bad fnum
Testing wmode
Trying locked region
Setting file as sparse
(torture/raw/write.c:329) Incorrect status NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE - should be
NT_STATUS_OK
TEST RAW-WRITE FAILED!
RAW-WRITE took 7.25009 secs

RAW-READ worked fine...

I decided to go for a very  simple test, using smbclient

against my win2k3 server:

# bin/smbclient //mccall.alf.cpqcorp.net/test -Uadministrator%password -d0 Ignoring dos charset 'CP850' unavailable - using ASCII

smb: \> put /etc/group testgroup

smb: \> dir testgroup

testgroup A 198 Fri Aug 19 11:47:15 2005

49139 blocks of size 512. 8657 blocks available

smb: \> quit

against my hpux 11.11 samba 4 server:

# bin/smbclient //hpntc17r/test -Uadministrator%password -d0

dos charset 'CP850' unavailable - using ASCII

smb: \> put /etc/group testgroup

smb: \> dir

. D 0 Fri Aug 19 11:49:43 2005

.. D 0 Thu Aug 11 12:37:45 2005

testgroup A 134217957 Fri Aug 19 11:49:43 2005

33728 blocks of size 512. 3477 blocks available

aha!!!!! Look at the SIZE of that sucker!

# du /usr/local/samba/tmp/testgroup

16 /usr/local/samba/tmp/testgroup

# head /usr/local/samba/tmp/testgroup

other::1:root,hpdb

bin::2:root,bin

sys::3:root,uucp

adm::4:root,adm

daemon::5:root,daemon

mail::6:root

lp::7:root,lp

tty::10:

nuucp::11:nuucp

# time head /usr/local/samba/tmp/testgroup other::1:root,hpdb bin::2:root,bin sys::3:root,uucp adm::4:root,adm daemon::5:root,daemon mail::6:root lp::7:root,lp

tty::10:

nuucp::11:nuucp

real 0m4.56s

user 0m4.21s

sys 0m0.29s

NOTE HOW LONG IT TOOK HEAD TO COME BACK.....

Lets see what happens when I try to copy BACK a file that I created in HPUX by hand:

# ll /usr/local/samba/tmp/localfile

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 91 Aug 19 11:54 /usr/local/samba/tmp/localfile

# cat /usr/local/samba/tmp/localfile

here is a line of text from a file created on the directory /usr/local/samba/tmpwith vi...

smb: \> dir

. D 0 Fri Aug 19 11:54:02 2005

.. D 0 Thu Aug 11 12:37:45 2005

testgroup A 134217957 Fri Aug 19 11:49:43 2005

localfile 91 Fri Aug 19 11:54:02 2005

33728 blocks of size 512. 3223 blocks available

smb: \> get localfile /tmp/localfile

Short read when getting file \localfile. Only got 0 bytes.

WHAT ABOUT if I try to copy back the file that I created from /etc/group, that looked so large????

well, for one thing, it takes a LONGGGGG time and in addition, the file I copy to, has the original files contents in it OVER AND OVER AND OVER....

smb: \> get testgroup /tmp/testgroup

<cntl-c>

# ll /tmp/testgroup

-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 50518908 Aug 19 12:11 /tmp/testgroup

# du /tmp/testgroup

98672 /tmp/testgroup

# ll /tmp/testgroup

-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 50518908 Aug 19 12:11 /tmp/testgroup

# du /tmp/testgroup

98672 /tmp/testgroup

I'm still investigating, but wanted to let you know results so far, so if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks for working with me on this.

Don