SOC smbclient progress

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Wed Aug 17 15:44:32 GMT 2005

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> writes:

> derrell at samba.org wrote:
>
>> If you can think of a POSIX-like function that cli_list()
>> could be wrapped in (or a way to implement one of the
>> existing smbc_ functions using cli_list() instead of
>> what it's already using to provide additional capability),
>> then that would probably be worthwhile to implement.  If
>> cli_list() can not easily map to a POSIX-like function, however,
>> I'd like to leave this proposed addition out of the samba3
>> libsmbclient so that we don't end up adding
>> unnecessary backward-compatibility requirements to the
>> samba4 library.
>
> Derrell,
>
> I think we just need to flesh out the dir_list_fn() in
> libsmbclient.c.  cli_list() is already called by smbc_opendir_ctx()

Yes, I assumed that opendir() didn't or couldn't provide what Kalim was
looking for.  Maybe that was a bad assumption.

What additional features, beyond what opendir() currently does, are required?
The question is whether they can be exposed in a reasonably clean way, without
affecting backward compatibility.

Cheers,

Derrell