SAMBA & ISAM Databases

Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com
Wed Sep 15 16:49:04 GMT 2004

"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> writes:

> - The core of the problem is that the database is being accessed as a
>   shared file, so each client must be able to read and write it
>   simultaneously--thus the importance of locking.
>
> Sounds as though a client/server database would be a better bet.

I haven't really been following this thread, but before looking into a
client/server database, it's probably useful to look at the small-footprint,
public-domain database SQLite which already handles such issues on a
multi-platform basis.  The 2.8.15 version is well tested and mature.  The
3.0.6 beta provides somewhat better concurrency for applications where that
could cause limitations (probably not here).  http://sqlite.org

Cheers,

Derrell