svn commit: samba r3708 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/smbd: .

Lars MÜLLER lmuelle at SuSE.de
Mon Nov 15 16:53:28 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 10:14:06PM +0100, Lars MÜLLER wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:43:53AM -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:
> >
> > jerry at samba.org wrote:
> > | Author: jerry
> > | Date: 2004-11-12 17:39:32 +0000 (Fri, 12 Nov 2004)
> > | New Revision: 3708
> > |
> > | WebSVN:
> > http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=3708
> > |
> > | Log:
> > | BUG 1838: patch from Gavrie Philipson <gavrie at disksites.com>
> > | to remove stale printers when reloading after a sighup
> > | Modified:
> > |    branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/smbd/server.c
> >
> > I'm not sure if the 'printcap cache time' option is really
> > necessary anymore since we clean out the printers list
> > after (a) receieving a sughup,
>
> that alone isn't enought in real as we don't want the CUPS admin to call
> the Samba admin by phone to issue a SIGHUP.
>
> > and (b) periodically reloading
> > the services (every 3 minutes).
>
> If this ensures to remove stale printers and to add printers added to
> the printing system in between the last reload then we should remove the
> 'printcap cache time' option.
>
> > What do you think ?  Looks ot me that we have a built in
> > time of 3 minutes and unless the 'printcap cache time' is
> > less that that, smbd will just do extra, uneccessary work.
>
> Remove it. Best if the changes are included in 3.0.9. Then I'll remove
> 'printcap cache time' from our default smb.conf.

One feature of printcap cache time is the 0 setting to disable the
rescan.  I'm not sure how expensive remove_stale_printers() and
load_printers() are if we have a huge printing system with a lot of
printers.

Therfore it might be usefull to have a general, configureable reload
time with a reasonable default value (600 or 750 seconds for example).

It might also be usefull to allow something like:

config reload time = printing:600 file:0

And yes, if this is wished I'll implement it.

Lars
--
Lars MÜLLER [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]