separating persistent and ephemeral state (in lockdir)

Luke Mewburn luke at mewburn.net
Wed Dec 1 08:14:25 GMT 2004

Samba currently defaults to storing all of its state into lockdir.
I don't think that this is optimal, because it means that
"persistant" state (e.g, winbindd_idmap.tdb) is kept in the same
location as "ephemeral" state (e.g, locking.tdb).

This is a problem because some systems (e.g, embedded) want to
keep persistent state in a separate location to where run-time
state is stored, since the latter may be on a file-system that's
(re-)initialized at boot.

The author of the "fhs.patch" in packaging/Debian/** seems to
agree with this sentiment.  Based on that patch and my own changes,
here's a quick analysis of the category of each file that's
accessed via lock_path():

  lock_path() (e.g, /var/run/samba)
	brlock.tdb
	connections.tdb
	locking.tdb
	messages.tdb
	namelist.debug
	sessionid.tdb
	sessionid.tdb
	unexpected.tdb
	winbindd_privileged/

  state_path() (e.g, /etc/samba/private)
	account_policy.tdb
	browse.dat
	group_mapping.tdb
	lang_<LANG>.tdb
	ntdrivers.tdb
	ntforms.tdb
	ntprinters.tdb
	privilege.tdb
	registry.tdb
	share_info.tdb
	winbindd_idmap.tdb
	wins.dat
	wins.tdb

  cache_path() (Debian separates this from lock_path() for some reason)
	netsamlogon_cache.tdb
	printing.tdb
	printing/<PRINTERNAME>.tdb
	winbindd_cache.tdb

I don't understand the rationale for separating lock_path() and
cache_path() -- I have them the same on my system -- but at least
separating state_path() is very useful.  Is there a reason that
this part of the Debian fhs.patch stuff hasn't been incorporated
into the "mainline", even as a subset of the --with-fhs option.
(E.g, having a state_path() function that's based on configure's
"statedir" and using that)?

Luke.