Posix/Samba: the accounts managements

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Fri Oct 31 17:27:56 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 18:03, Aurélien Degrémont wrote:
> I didn't say that Samba must manage the creation/deletion of posix
> accounts and I totally disagree with it. Samba runs on too many various
> systems that it should not handle by itself the Posix accounts . The
> differences between "unixes" and "linuxes" are way too numerous. The
> using of external scripts is a good idea if Samba clearly explains it
> and handles it. I think Samba must manage the Samba Accounts and call
> the scripts to handle the posix accounts but this must be well done.

of course that shouldn't happen by default, but it would be a big help
for many admins imo.

> This it one reason why I work on this problem.  Users who use Samba
> didn't like at all that the client program complains about an error that
> do not exist !

yeah, that's not nice at all.

> I'm not looking for some kind of tricks but a true solution :)

ok that's fine.

If you have a test environment I'll propose this patch:

if it is ok I'll commit it.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399