release tarball sizes

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Oct 21 15:15:14 GMT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:43:16AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote about 'Re: release tarball sizes':
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> |>Save ~8Mb per download on a a release is pretty
> |>compelling to me.
> | Packaging the docs sounds ok to me (though I'd prefer to always have
> | the manpages in the source). Something that can always be left out of
> | the source package are imho:
> |  - docbook sources (7.2M)
> |  - developer documentation (PDF, docbook and HTML)
> The only thing that would really matter here is
> the docbook/ directory.  Loosing that buts the
> gzipped version about 1.5Mb.  Is there any
> compelling reason to leave it in?  Patches?
> Unless someone speaks up, I will remove it from
> the next 3.0.x[preX] release.
I don't think there is a reason to leave the doc sources in.
Nobody sends us patches to the docbook source at the moment. Rather,
people send us comments and plain-text updates that we then put in ourselves.

Packagers should have enough clue to pull the sources from CVS imho.

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij                                              <jelmer at samba.org>
http://samba.org/~jelmer/                             http://samba.vernstok.nl/