Copied file vanishes when client is OS X

Ed Holden eholden at mclean.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 25 17:08:52 GMT 2003

Benjamin,

Thanks for the very good suggestions.  I tried them both ...

> Do you have Apple's development system on that system?  If so, you
> could check for differences in the Mac OS metadata with the tool
> "GetFileInfo".  Also you can run "DeRez" on the file (redirect the
> output to a file) to determine if the file has a resource fork and if
> it is empty.

I installed the Developer Tools SDK as you suggested.  GetFileInfo had
this to say about the file:

  file: "/Users/nrladmin/Desktop/gnu-linux.pdf"
  type: ""
  creator: ""
  attributes: avbstclinmed
  created: 11/24/2003 16:49:40
  modified: 11/06/2003 21:05:53

And DeRez says this:

  ### ./DeRez - The resource fork of
  "/Users/nrladmin/Desktop/gnu-linux.pdf"
  is empty and uninitialized.

Is an empty and uninitialized resource fork a bad thing?  Somehow I think
that might not be the precise problem.  If I open the PDF in Preview and
do a Save As, creating a new file called gnu-linux2.pdf, the new file
copies fine.  However, the DeRez output is identical.  And the
contents of the files are also ientical, according to diff.

> Does a copy of the file work, if you create that with the "cp" tool in
> Terminal.app on the Mac?

Good idea.  I did cp on the command line and unfortunately the copy
still fails.  It's the same result as if I had run a Duplicate in the GUI.

-Ed