[patch] uppercase workgroup in browse request

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Mar 31 04:57:15 GMT 2003

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 04:03:45PM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
:
> > There's a question above.  I asked "Do I read this correctly?".
> You added a smiley behind it, so it appeared ironicly to me.

It was just an attempt to appear friendly.

> > So, what is your intention with this patch?  What was the problem you were
> > detecting?  You never specified.  Before I dig into the patch I want to
> > know what you are trying to accomplish.
> >
> Well, host names in URLs are usually case insensitive and with samba servers
> smb://mygrp gives indeed the same as smb://MYGRP. But not when the server
> is running winME, win98 or XP (that's the versions I tried). As KDE's URL
> handling lower cases the host part (and that's what "MYGRP" is), you'll
> notice.

The problem is that NetBIOS names are supposed to be upper case, though
Windows sometimes gets this wrong.  Samba decodes the wire-format of the
name and uses a case insensitive comparison.  Windows systems do not
decode the wire format, so their comparison is case sensitive.

> Meanwhile Andrew pointed out that my patch wasn't safe, so I changed it to
> use STR_UPPER.

Please check that the correct patch was applied.  I believe Richard Sharpe
(who is the primary maintainer of libsmbclient) has applied a fix, which
should be in the current CVS.

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

PS.  Will you be at the Samba/eXPo conference?

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org