What to do when Windows client asks you to set permissions that you can't?

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Wed Mar 19 22:40:24 GMT 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Ken Cross wrote:

> Richard:
>
> By all means, leave them not trusting the file system.  ;-)
>
> Seriously, we have a similar situation, where we have almost-Windows
> ACLs.  It's a continuing problem.
>
> However, we've found it best to do whatever is appropriate to avoid
> alarming the user.  Typically, this means silently doing the
> next-best-thing, whatever that is.
>
> An example is setting Read Attributes, but disabling Read Extended
> Attributes.  We don't implement them both, so we set them both to
> whatever the last request was.

Hmmm, that sounds like you have the bits in your ACLs, but do not
implement the semantics associated with them?

As far as I can see, Windows requires that you have WRITE_DATA,
WRITE_ATTRIBUTES and WRITE_EXTENTED_ATTRIBUTES to allow you to write to a
file.

This seems surprising, but not unexpected given that NTFS implements file
data as the unnamed $DATA attribute :-)

> It ain't perfect, but it's an approximation anyhow.

Regards
-----