Printer driver parameter deprecated - what now?

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Mar 9 11:27:50 GMT 2003

Hi there.

I wanted long already to get into automatic determination and
downloading of printer drivers for Windows.  I notice now that the
'printer driver' parameter is specified as deprecated in the manual
page of smb.conf (was long already so, probably, but only now I really
checked exactly).  It says there to check the Samba Printing HOWTO for
more information.

Firstly, I did not really find the Samba Printing HOWTO - I assume
this is [Chapter 13. Printing Support] in the Samba HOWTO Collection
(docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf - "Samba Project Documentation").

So I read that.  Seems pretty much appropriate as a replacement for
the "printer driver file" option.  But, what if for now I just want to
specify the name of the printer driver to use for the printer, and not
provide the files themselves (assuming the client has it installed
already, e.g. it came with Windows).  That appears what the "printer
driver" parameter should do, but I could not really find anything of
that functionality (or simplicity) with the [print$] share system.

So - what is the updated replacement for the "printer driver"
parameter - say, what would be equivalent to setting:

printer driver = HP LaserJet 4L

like in the example of the man page?

Also, I did not really understand what section 13.2 in the document
([print$] vs. [printer$]) is supposed to mean - there only [printer$]
is mentioned, while in the rest of the document only [print$] is
mentioned.

  Thanks, any answers appreciated,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/