client: browse doesn't work with only win98 in workgroup

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Mar 1 19:20:09 GMT 2003

Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com wrote:

> Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com writes:
>
> > "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> writes:
> >
> >> I am interested in looking into this, but I won't have time until the
> >> weekend.

> > In the mean time, I have modified smbw_dir.c to include a new function
> > smbw_browse_workgroup_alternate() with the following patch.  The code
> > is basically stolen from nmblookup.c.
>
> More testing (and the "Duh!" factor upon reviewing the code) reveals
> that the code I added does not find all hosts in a workgroup; it finds
> "some" of the hosts.  Actually, it finds _one_ host each time it's run,
> not necessarily the same host each time.  I'll have to work on this some
> more if the cli_session_request() method can't be made to work properly
> with win98 and win95 machines as master browsers.

Derrell,

Can you give me a better idea of what you are trying to do?

Above, you say you are trying to find all hosts that are members of a given
workgroup.  The question is: why?  What is it that you are actually trying
to accomplish?

Keep in mind that there is a *very* big difference between the set of hosts
that are members of a workgroup and the set of servers offering services
within that workgroup.  Two distinct systems are used to gather those two
lists.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org